The Blue City
Jodhpur, Rajastan's second largest city, was founded by the Rathore ruler of Marwar, Rao Jodha, in 1459. The blue wash paint still evident on many of the buildings seen from the Merangarh Fort explains the nickname, "The Blue City." Originally the blue colour indicated the residence of a high caste brahmin. By adding indigo to lime-based whitewash homeownwers believed they protected their houses from insects and helped to keep them cooler in summer.
Return to the Indian Adventure Home Page.
© Derrick Grose, 2017