1. "He came with flowers to strew his lady's grave; / and bid me stand aloof..."
2. "Clubs, bills, and partisans! Strike! Beat them down! Down with the Capulets! Down with the Montagues!"
1. Complete the crossword above using the names of the speakers
for each of the quotations or by finding the appropriate word
to fill the blank in the clue.
2. For five quotations, identify the context of the quotations and explain what they reveal about the characters who are speaking.
3. Find two quotations by noble characters and two quotations by commoners and contrast the language used by the speakers.
The following versions of Romeo and Juliet are available from Amazon.com:
Romeo and Juliet: Original text and facing-pages translation into contemporary English by William Shakespeare and Jonnie Patricia Mobley Textbook - 265 pages Revised edition (May 28, 1999)
Understanding Romeo and Juliet: A Student Casebook to Issues, Sources, and Historical Documents (Greenwood Press 'Literature in Context' Series) by Alan Hager (Editor) Hard Cover (November 1999)
Readings on Romeo and Juliet (The Greenhaven Press Literary Companion to British Literature) by Don Nardo (Editor) Library Binding -190 pages (September 1997)
Romeo and Juliet (1968) NTSC format video (US and Canada only) Color, Closed-captioned, HiFi Sound, NTSC.Starring: Leonard Whiting, Olivia Hussey, et al. Director: Franco Zeffirelli
Romeo & Juliet (1994) NTSC format video (US and Canada only) Color, Closed-captioned, HiFi Sound, NTSC. Director: Alan Horrox
William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet (1996) NTSC format video (US and Canada only) Color, Closed-captioned, HiFi Sound, NTSC.Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Claire Danes, et al. Director: Baz Luhrmann
West Side Story (1961) NTSC format video (US and Canada only) Color, Closed-captioned, HiFi Sound, NTSC.Starring: Natalie Wood, George Chakiris, et al. Director: Robert Wise, Jerome Robbins
Romeo and Juliet West Side Storyby William Shakespeare, Paul Werstine, Norris Houghton (Editor) (September 1, 1965).
Romeo & Juliet/Cassettes (BBC Radio Presents) Audio Cassette (February 1994)
The Chortling Bard: Caught'ya Grammar with a Giggle for High Schools by Jane Bell Kiester Paperback - 225 pages - an enjoyable approach to teaching grammar based, in part, on the play.
© Grose Educational Media, 2002