Bom Jesus do Monte
In 1722 the Archbishop of Braga built the baroque stairway of Bom Jesus to provide access to a shrine that dated back to the 15th-century. The stairway and the existing Church of Bom Jesus were completed by Carlos Amarante in 1811. In 1882 a hydraulically operated funicular railway was added to make it possible to make the ascent to the church in three minutes. For walkers the ascent begins up a steep path up the Sacred Way with chapels housing the fourteen stations of the cross.
The Escadorio dos Cinco Sentidos in the middle staircases dedicate wall-fountains to the five senses. Three staircases approaching the summit represent the three virtues. Eight statues of Christ's accusers are at the top facing the Church of Bom Jesus. A simulated grotto is located between the church and the Hotel do Parque.
Return to the Portuguese Explorations Home Page.